Re: netbsd on vax 11/730; booting in sim

On Thu, 2009-01-08 21:29:38 +0100, Johnny Billquist <bqt%softjar.se@localhost>
wrote:

> The VAX support in gcc is probably better now that it have been in quite
> a while. Big kudos to the people (I suspect Matt Thomas) for getting
> that done. However, gcc itself is getting so slow it's just not fun to
> even joke about anymore.
> But apart from that, it's my view that the kernel and various subsystems
> around that have degenerated since 4.0.

That's all true for NetBSD CVS, but not for upstream GCC. The recently
introduced new register allocator needs (for VAX: probably only minor)
changes. These haven't been done up to now and the VAX port, once
again, is a target proposed for removal in upstream GCC.

There was a tip[1] on the GCC list what's needed to get done. Maybe
I'll try another NetBSD installation (in simh) in a few days and try to
bulid GCC with the proposed changes.

MfG, JBG
[1] http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2008-11/msg00199.html

--