Re: NetBSD/vax kernel seems stable now

4000/500?
I started a build of the world yesterday on a 4000/90. Let's see who finishes first... :-)

Anyway, nice to see someone else back on track as well.
I think Matt's done an excellent job. My machine have been chugging away for more than 24 hours now, and looks very solid.
I'm at libutil right now...

By the way, Matt. Have you done anything about the atomic ops for VAX? And what should we do? After all, a CAS operation is hardly optimal for the VAX (a shame really, when we have a nice set of instructions which are guaranteed to be atomic). But do we even have any working MP machines possible, or could we almost NOP the atomic stuff?

        Johnny

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo skrev:
I wrote:

[...] so now I've got it trying to support a rebuild of the tools and
kernel from a fresh 'cvs update'.

That worked out well, with a few crashes and reboots along the way, and
I've now got a fresh kernel running, with all of Matt's fixes.  It's
just started building the world from scratch on my 4000/500, so now I
need to find something else to keep me occupied while it works... :)

Certainly looking good so far! :)

Here's my latest boot (that "RA90" is really a SCSI disk hanging off a
DEC UQSSP "SCSI as MSCP" interface):

NetBSD 4.99.54 (GENERIC) #0: Sat Feb 23 21:29:46 CET 2008

root%ludwig.hamartun.priv.no@localhost:/usr/local/obj/sys/arch/vax/compile.vax/GENERIC
VAX 4000/500
cpu0: KA680, ucode rev 2
total memory = 98228 KB
avail memory = 92192 KB
timecounter: Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
mainbus0 (root)
ibus0 at mainbus0
ze0 at ibus0
ze0: hardware address 08:00:2b:29:18:3a
device shac at ibus0 not configured
uba0 at ibus0: Q22
uda0 at uba0 csr 172150 vec 774 ipl 17
mscpbus0 at uda0: version 6 model 13
mscpbus0: DMA burst size set to 4
ra0 at mscpbus0 drive 0: RA90
ra1 at mscpbus0 drive 4: RRD40
timecounter: Timecounter "clockinterrupt" frequency 100 Hz quality 0
timecounter: Timecounter "mfpr" frequency 1000000 Hz quality 100
Kernelized RAIDframe activated
ra0: size 45322643 sectors
ra1label: 0
: no disk label: size 208060 sectors