Re: Firefox52 broken on NetBSD9.3 / pkgsrc-2022Q4

Hi,

I jump in here, because I am interested in compiling issues in gecko.

Connor McLaughlan wrote:
> firefox52 and thunderbird52 need to be compiled with "SSP_SUPPORTED= no" to run.
>
> arcticfox gives a bus error, even when compiled with all hardening disabled;
> but this is a new package since 2022Q4 and has not been run
> successfully for me on sparc64 yet.

Since I am the current upstream author of ArcticFox, I'm interested here.
I do try on sparc64 from time to time. On NetBSD rarely, since my Netra
T1 takes a full day or more to compile it. On Linux the Fire T2000 takes
less. Neither on Linux nor NetBSD I got anything else than a crash at
startup.
I test directly the github dev-branch sourches, not a package.

While ArcticFox incorporates several endianness patches and some SPARC
patches made by Martin, I do not know if it contains all the work
applicable from Firefox: I applied those I could find, I have no "list"
to check.

I don't have NetBSD/PPC to test on, but AF works quite well on Linux
PPC32/PPC64 as well as on NetBSD x86 & amd64. So essentially, the issue
is SPARC. Best Memory issue finding CPU ever besides HP-PA :)

> I am currently testing to compile and run seamonkey-2.53.13 of 2022Q4
> but i expect this to fail due to other issues on sparc64; the last
> known good version for me was seamonkey-2.49.5.

The switch comes from the gecko52 to the gecko60 core, which in cludes
rust. So Seamonkey 2.53 would me newer than FF52... nice feat. How is
(hated) rust on sparc64? and sparc? I know it is mot much PPC friendly...

Riccardo