Re: illumos removing SPARC64 support

On 7 May 2021, at 0:22, nia wrote:

Illumos (the contination of OpenSolaris) is discussing removing
SPARC64 support in this proposal.

https://github.com/illumos/ipd/blob/master/ipd/0019/README.md

Just FYI, I'm not sure if it's possible to avert this at this stage,
but maybe someone cares enough to donate newer hardware -
the toolchain situation is also not good.

I don't understand this post. Why does the NetBSD community care about what Illumos does?

Also, Joshua's comment that

"the size and quality of the pool of second hand systems available through eBay and other vendors has dwindled, and prices have risen to match. Desktop systems in particular are popular for collectors, and are thus now staggeringly expensive if you can find them at all. As a result, the pool of machines available to build the software is extremely limited; the project does not currently have access to a permanent official SPARC build machine."

is nonsense. Sun Ultra 60's are only a few hundred dollars on eBay, just like they've always been. Sun Blade 1000s/1500s/2000s a little more. Where are these "staggeringly expensive" systems?

		- Greg