Re: illumos removing SPARC64 support

On Fri, 07 May 2021 01:07:10 -0700
"Greg Earle" <earle%isolar.DynDNS.ORG@localhost> wrote:

> On 7 May 2021, at 0:22, nia wrote:
>
> > Illumos (the contination of OpenSolaris) is discussing removing
> > SPARC64 support in this proposal.
> >
> > https://github.com/illumos/ipd/blob/master/ipd/0019/README.md
> >
> > Just FYI, I'm not sure if it's possible to avert this at this stage,
> > but maybe someone cares enough to donate newer hardware -
> > the toolchain situation is also not good.
>
> I don't understand this post.  Why does the NetBSD community care
> about what Illumos does?

There is a lot of porting between different open source projects,
although I'm not sure how much sparc64 code has been ported from
Illumos to NetBSD. In the grand scheme of things, the fewer OSes that
support sparc64, the harder it becomes to port drivers, etc. to NetBSD.
So yes, NetBSD community (and others) should care about it.

On the other hand, it's really up to the project leaders/community to
decide if they continue to support a particular port or not. I wouldn't
be rushing in to the rescue with my personal donations.