Re: illumos removing SPARC64 support

nia writes:
> illumos (the contination of OpenSolaris) is discussing removing
> SPARC64 support in this proposal.
>
> https://github.com/illumos/ipd/blob/master/ipd/0019/README.md
>
> Just FYI, I'm not sure if it's possible to avert this at this stage,
> but maybe someone cares enough to donate newer hardware -
> the toolchain situation is also not good.

There is plenty of HW.  The problem is that the x86 proponents perceive
the SPARC-specific code as holding them back and keeping them from
innovating.  Due to the lack of SPARC developers, the SPARC code has not
kept up.

So in the end it boils down to lack of human resources.  That is true
also for the toolchain.

Personally, I find it sad but understandable.  Unfortunately, I am not
in a position to contribute much.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt        Consulting and Support for Solaris-based Systems
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab%bb-c.de@localhost
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"