Re: U5 RAM?

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 20:38:13 -0400 (EDT)
der Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> wrote:

> You must have a remarkably bloated idea of a "graphical desktop
> machine".  My main desktop at work has 48M, and that's plenty.
Depends on usage pattern. I know that you are quite puristic. This is
OK, but not the average usage pattern of the average NetBSD user.
I could live with 48 MB too, as I am a bit puristic too.

But one of my main applications is Firefox. Firefox eats memory like
mad. If you intend to run Firefox on sparc64 you need at least 256 MB
RAM or you won't have much fun due to extensive paging. As most other
people want to use Firefox too, I think it is save to say that you will
need at least 256 MB RAM for an avarage desktop.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen