Re: Booting 10.0 from CD on Sparc IPC fails - Data Access Exception

Hi,

Julian Coleman wrote:
I had some patches a while ago but didn't get a tester for any machines that
have problems with the current code.  The patches are still at:

   https://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/jdc/sparc/boot/

If it would be helpful, I could build an ISO image for 10.0 with this patch
applied.

Yes, I can test. Maybe also the miniroot.fs is meaningful and easier/quicker to test?

Right now I have a 6.1 system with retro-patched boot sectors I concocted years ago.

I tried miniroot today (slap on swap partition, I would also have an external hard disk available).

SPARCstation IPC, No Keyboard
ROM Rev. 2.4, 48 MB memory installed, Serial #12713634.

Rebooting with command: disk:b netbsd -s
Boot device: /sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@3,0:b   File and args: netbsd -s
>> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.15 (Thu Mar 28 08:33:33 UTC 2024)
Booting netbsd
Memory error during DMA transfer.
DMA control register = 3844d000 , DMA address = ffe83004
Extra scsi data. Fatal error.Data Access Exception
Type  help  for more information

is this the same error, just with a little more information? or is it something different?

Until I have a booting system, it is easier to test. Also, apparently my original CD-ROM caddy is aging too.. it just almost always ejects the CD... wonder...
It also needs real CDs and not CD-ROMs :)
To test the CD, I had to borrow another SCSI cd-rom :) Luckily I still have my d2 burner from Mac 68k times :)

Riccardo