Re: new kernels and disk crash!

Hi,

I don't insist on "historic hardware" but on reliable and performing stuff.

Martin Husemann wrote:
Pointers for available SCSI<->SATA adapters welcome!
There used to be some (expensive) options, but none of them seems to be
available recently.

Actually something proven for SCA80!
Although my SS10 is in a similar situation, but with trusty old 50pin. There I fond some hard disks working, but even with the pile of salvaged disks, it is extremely, extremely choosy!! at the end I made so many tests that I broke the SCSI flat and had to replace it. What I have works there... but eventually will fry, it is even older than the SCAs I had there.

Everyone seems to be using Bluescsi or similar SD card based solutions
nowadays, but I really want a professional SSD on some of this machines.

Not that fond of BlueSCSI... I don't trust these SD cards, in terms of life and speed (think swap, git, svn....)

Space is very tight too.
In the SS10 I couldn't fit a SCSI 50 to 80 pin adapter in terms of space (and didn't even work reliably)

A good board with SCSI-SATA converter on which to mount a 2.5" disk could be a good option, allowing both spinning rust and SSDs. Even an older SATA disk from a  laptop would beat in read/write performance the older SCSI disks.

Riccardo