SparcStation 4 serial console

Hi,

I want to upgrade my SparcStation 4, so I need serial console access.

I have a contraption of Sun Y Cable, adapter, gender-changer, null-modem cable to DB9 that works with SS10 and SS20 and a ThinkCentre PC with minicom.
 literally disconnect it one end the SS20 put it in the SS4 and nothing shows.
The system boots and I can telnet into it!

Off-head any clues about what could be wrong? different between SS4 and the SS10/SS20?

Riccardo