legolas# ps -ax
 PID TTY  STAT     TIME COMMAND
   0 ?    OKl  14:54.87 [system]
   1 ?    Is    0:01.22 init
11955 ttya Ss    0:00.25 -sh
29647 ttya O+    0:00.08 ps -ax

seems nothing is lect, right?

exit

exited, the system performs essentially the boot sequence.

once sshd restarted, I relogged in and was able to resume my work.

What does this prove? Not really a convenient method, since it is
equivalent to a reboot.
However, it means that the issue is some system (or user?) process
leaking or piling up, not the kernel itself, right?

It means that the resources are freed at some point.

Should've suggested you run a "ps ax" before, then one after, the shutdown.

What we want to see is what process is still sticking around even though it should just die and free stuff up.

John