Re: shutdown -p panics on SS10

On Fri, 9 Jun 2023 at 19:58, Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> vom513 wrote:
> > On the SS20 - shutdown -p works as expected, sending the power-off signal to hardware and the machine goes dark.
> >
> > On the SS10 - it panics and reboots every time.
>
> I have an SS20 running 9.x ...it shut downs properly, but is not
> completely stable, after a while the machine  needs a reboot because it
> spits out memory allocation issues. RAM should be good, changed most
> modules and a single warm restart fixes everything.
>
> I have an SS10 still running 8.2 - it is literally rock stable, so I am
> very hestiant upgrading it to 9.x... fearing the same issue.
> It powers down perfectly. It is annoying that it will not powerup with a
> "switch on the back" without cycling, but that I belive is an issue with
> the SS10 switch which is not a toggle.
>
> I run both system headless.
>
> This would narrow down the issue to either your SS10... or a change in
> NetBSD 9 vs 8.

How easy is it to trigger the netbsd9 issues?

As a datapoint, would it be worth trying to extract a netbsd-9 kernel
(as /netbsd9) & modules onto the netbsd-8 and try a boot into the
netbsd9 kernel (retaining everything else) to see if the issue
exhibits?

David