Re: Anyone have working pre-v8 machines?

Le mar. 5 avr. 2022 à 22:15, Mouse <mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost> a écrit :
> Speaking of this, is there any easy way to tell whether a given
> processor is v7, v8, or what?  The examples given here were making it
> look as though v7 were approximately sun4c, but then Romain Dolbeau
> wrote of a dual-v7 SS20, which means that v7==sun4c is not correct.

sun4 and sun4c are all v7; sun4m and newer 32 bits (sun4d, maybe others?) are almost all v8 - the SM100 module is the sole exception that I know of.

wikipedia has a list of SPARC with the architecture (<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARC>).

v7/post-v7 can be tested by trying to use a hardware multiplication instruction; if it causes an illegal instruction error, it's v7 (... unless the OS traps and emulates it but I don't think NetBSD or any Sun OSes do that), otherwise it's v8 or newer.

> cpu0 at mainbus0: TMS390Z50 v0 or TMS390Z55 @ 75 MHz, on-chip FPU

SuperSPARC II in a SM71, so v8

> cpu0 at mainbus0: RT620/625 @ 125 MHz, on-chip FPU

HyperSPARC (an HS21 ? or some Ross module), so also v8.

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau