Re: CG14 in 8-bit color

Hello,

On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 18:45:15 -0800
foo bar <tokenalt%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Attached xorg logs for 9.2 and current, both seem to detect the 4mb vsimm fine.

Found ( what I think is ) the problem:
[   440.478] (II) EXA(0): Offscreen pixmap area of 47104 bytes
vs.
[   160.890] (II) EXA(0): Offscreen pixmap area of 1083904 bytes
The latter is wrong, going to find out how we got there...

> I just installed 9.2 on an extra harddrive to verify it works and it
> does but I did notice a rather large performance difference. Using
> x11perf -aaftext, which triggers the corruption on current, I get
> 13000/s on current but only 4580/s on 9.2

The -current driver uses SX for a lot more xrender operations than the
code in 9.2. The thing isn't fast compared to modern graphics hardware
but it sure beats pure software.
... which probably makes SX the oldest graphics processor we can use
for xrender.

have fun
Michael