Re: NetBSD 8.2 Package refresh fails

Greg Troxel wrote:
> Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> writes:
>
>>> As usual, I would suggest
>>>   [presumably you marked all built-in-7 packages rebuild=YES]
> This line was very important.   You need to not mix 7 and 8 packages.
> So any package that was built with 7 needs
>
>   pkg_admin set rebuild=YES pkgname
>
> pkg_rolling-replace(8) has examples, but not this one.   Basically look
> for OS_VERSION in each package's +BUILD_INFO file.

Can I have this list generated automatically with a query to the pkg
database somehow? I admit I skipped this step.

> My 8.2ish system has /usr/pkg/include/harfbuzz/hb.h
>
> I would suggest looking for that in the filesystem and also in
> work/.buildlink/include, when you are trying to build pango.   When I do
> 'make configure' in devel/pango, I get a
> work/.buildlink/include/harfbuzz/hb.h link that points to the installed file.

I have too:
> cd /usr/pkg
> find . -name hb.h
./include/harfbuzz/hb.h

and if I chek .buildlink:

> pwd
/home/pkg-workdir/devel/pango/work
> find . -name hb.h
./.buildlink/include/harfbuzz/hb.h
> ls -l ./.buildlink/include/harfbuzz/hb.h
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  30 Jun 12 13:16
./.buildlink/include/harfbuzz/hb.h -> /usr/pkg/include/harfbuzz/hb.h

looks fine, doesn't it? it also is, the link resolves (trikcy... from
NFS to a mounted disk... but it works)

> same error. I had the idea to issue a "make replace" in fonts/harfbuzz,
> so I manually did a "make replace"
> ===> Replacing for harfbuzz-2.6.4nb2
> ===> Updating using binary package of harfbuzz-2.6.4nb2
> This seems odd.  My impression is that one needs to configure something
> to have relace use binaries.

I have set up to create binaries and save them, so I can then reinstall
them on another SparcStation!

> Where is this binary package from,and why are you sure that it was built
> for 8 and not 7?  Are you really sure the workdir was empty?  Does it
> not show up from the pkg_admin run for pkg_rr, and what is the value of
> the unsafe_depends variables?

I nuked all workdirs! rebuilt harfbuzz...

> My advice
>   make sure you really understand *everything* in your mk.conf, and make
>   it minimal, limiting it to what you arelly need.

It is really minimal:
> cat /etc/mk.conf
MAKE_JOBS=     2

# define things for pkgsrc

# create also all dependencies
DEPENDS_TARGET=package-install

# work here
WRKOBJDIR=/home/pkg-workdir

# save our tarball packages here
PACKAGES=/disk2/packages

>   update your source tree to the pkgsrc-2020Q2 branch (as I originally
>   advised)

I just dumped a tarball, I am not following CVS, I don't intend to
continously rebuild, just to have a complete environment.
I think I have 2020Q1, but how do I practically can know? There is no
release file or such

>   set aside all your old binary packages
>
>   mark every package that was built on 7 as rebuild=YES
>
>   again be careful to do rebuild-tree and get rid of work directories
>
>   start rebuilding again

I can do that, but I somehow wanted a "consistent" upgrade, before
cycling again, i fear a spiral of death here.

I am do not want to rebuild everything - I want to use ready binary
packages and just integrade what was broken due to openssl breakage
which I worked around thanks to Romain's help... just the delta.

in the meanwhile, can I easily know which installed packages are still
on 7 and not 8?

Riccardo