Re: SPARC packages availability for 9.0 and install report

Hi,

ideafix%ideafix.name@localhost wrote:
> Hi.
>
> SPARC port is actually in TIER 2,5 state. 2019Q4 packages was built partially and it was impossible to build openssl and some other important packages for 2019Q4.

No openssl is could be a major blocker..  although, shouldn't packages
use system SSL (like I am seeing now for svn packages)

> I have some sparc32 machines, but build 2019Q3 for netbsd8 myself in quemu. 2019Q4 have unbuildable openssl and 2020Q1 is enough fresh... I does not tried it.

I could as well try. I will for now keep one or at most two "non
critical" systems to 9 and see what I can do and maybe we ca also fix
together the builds.

I don't need all packages. I could even share them.

> You can use an external cd/dvd (scsi id 6) to install OS, make a right (!) termination. You should own one, if you want to use sparc32 :) It is possible to get old external streamer (LTO) ant replace streamer to scsi dvd.

I have two actually... but not too new and one without case, I attached
that internally, internal active terminator. Worked always well and
indeed I could "boot" but not continue installation.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odJF81RPca0 - it is possible to use modern SATA BLURAY even on 286.... еруку шы тщ зкщидуьы цшер ызфкс32 😊 You just need some adapters...

Fun! true is that that some of these machines are little finky,
especially my SS10. Perhaps depends on cables, controllers, terminations.
I used to be a SCSI fan with Mac 68k and PPC.. having two scsi busses
FULL of stuff! Optical drives, disks... etc.
Most of this stuff is dead... or given away since I dont' know how to
use it on NetBSD.

> Best regards, Alex.
>
> P.S. I use SparcClassic because it is very small. It is possible to change framebuffer, add ram (I have 96mb now) and fresh idprom chips (common, not from sun, from ebay). Do you have a top snus framebufers or may be 2*32mb fpm parity simms?

I have now two deead ID PROMS :( but can't source them easily. I also
have a Sun Fire! it has a "dying" chip: it looses date but all the rest
still retains, luckily.
I used to "hack" a battery, but it does not always work well. Where do
you source them? At decent price?

if you mean sbus, I checked. I have nothing cool (like a LEO or such) I
have an older SunGX, but definitely non top.
I have two cool things which I unmounted: A Sun Video (so you can
digitze analog in) and a rare duble-board framebuffer which is 24bit,
accelerated and has also video in with dedicated JPEG chip! I did video
digitzation with solaris 2.5 and 2.6 :-P

Riccardo