Re: old packages and missing libraries (git and libssl)

Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> writes:

> Hi!
>
> in absence of 9.0 packages I tried installing 8.x packages.
> SOme work fine, like sudo, but a critical one for me, git:
>
> legolas$ git clone https://github.com/gnustep/libs-base.git
> Cloning into 'libs-base'...
> /usr/pkg/libexec/git-core/git-remote-https: Shared object
> "libssl.so.12" not found
>
> is the issue here that it is linked agaisnt a system library that was
> updated?

yes, that seems to be the case

> any ideas welcome.... (copying file over from 8.x system?)

That should work.   Basically, if you have an 8 system, and upgrade it
to 9, then the older major version of shlibs will still be there and old
binaries will work.

There is a "compat8" packge.  You may be able to build and install that
on your machine, but that crosses into mixing packges.

With pkgsrc, and with any other closed set of software, each member
should be built for the same environment.  So having *every* package be
for 8, and then adding in the missing libs manually has you hit them,
should be ok, as should building everything yourself.

You may wish to set up a sparc qemu vm on a fast modern box, to build
packages.  But you may well not wish that!