Re: old packages and missing libraries (git and libssl)

> in absence of 9.0 packages I tried installing 8.x packages.
> SOme work fine, like sudo, but a critical one for me, git:

> legolas$ git clone https://github.com/gnustep/libs-base.git
> Cloning into 'libs-base'...
> /usr/pkg/libexec/git-core/git-remote-https: Shared object "libssl.so.12"
> not found

Not that it's a general fix, but, for github in particular, it's easy
to convert an https://github.com/ clone target into a git://github.com/
clone target: just replace https: with git: and you're done.  (I know
this because I have no HTTPS support but have occasionally found myself
wanting to clone github repos.)

Of course, that's assuming you consider the MitM risk of using git://
acceptable.  (Not that https:// is all that much better, but it's
better against few threats; there _are_ people whose threat models lead
them to draw a significant difference between the two.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign