Re: Disk and partition sizes (Was: sun4c)

Julian Coleman a écrit :
Hi,

Oh? thats been fixed? Brilliant. Back in the not-so-recent-unpleasantness
2.0 or below(?) era I had a 4gb disk sliced up into roughly 900mb slices +
swap and misc. Worked fine. I then became overly zealous and fed it a 18gb
disk off two levels of converters and went gangbusters up to the point
where some counter wrapped and the fs was corrupted.

I'm not sure that this problem has been fixed.  The two different problems
are: 1) the firmware being only able to access the first chunk of disk (see
sparc/boot(8) for limitations), and; 2) corruption using larger disks in
some machines.

For the first problem, there is no fix, so it's simplest to make the boot
partition no larger than the requisite size (or 1GB to work on multiple
machines).

I'm guessing too that the second problem is also a hardware limitation with
the ESP 100A (NCR53C90 clone) used in the SS2(*), where the SS20 uses an
  ESP 200, and there have been reports of 18GB disks in SS20's.  However, I'm
not sure if there also limitations there as well.

Thanks,

(*) Guessing that this is an SS2 from:

   http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/port-sparc/2010/08/16/msg000841.html

        Hello,

I cannot remember capacities of disks I have installed in my SS2 running linux (9 or 18 GB) and it worked fine if /boot was the first partition and doesn't exceed 1 GB.

But one of my SS20's runs without trouble under NetBSD with two Fujitsu U320 disks (300 GB) and all other SS20 run with one ore two 73 GB disks.

        Regards,

        JKB