Sparc memory, NICs, NVRAMS, few additional notes

Hello again port-sparc members,

A couple of notes to add regarding Sparc parts I e-mailed to give away, earlier today. Most of the parts are tested in the sense that, they were removed from systems after observing those systems to boot to OBP or an operating system without error.

Not every single part will be fully tested, and I have no easy way to label which ones have been tested. But I believe most still work, as they've been stored safely cool and dry, most in anti-static bags.

There's one video card I saw while sorting through the parts, a double-wide, apparently CG6 type card. That is, it has two SBUS connectors and takes up two slots when installed.

Class B FCC ID for the card is GWVS4CG6. A 12-digit bar coded number yields no matching documents via Google search. Memory-wise on the card, there are two rows of 16 SIPs each. There are also two large ceramic LSI Logic chips along one edge of the card.

Photo of card is attached.  Found photo at,

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b113950539?ySiD=B3CSTROcfbIU17gVJAmT

As for parting out the box, I may be able to break it into two smaller, roughly equal sized donation boxes, but I won't have time to sort through and send only NICs to one user, just memory to another, etc. Packaging and mailing takes time, which I can perform gratis one or two times, but not many times.

And invariably, giving away hardware, or selling hardware and shipping it, involves multiple e-mail exchanges with each party, to get the details of shipping destinations and costs sorted out.

I think a half box will weigh 2 or 4 lbs, just guessing here at work sans a scale. The half box will be about the size of a kleenex box. Look at the postage for that on-line, and decide if it's worth that shipping fee to receive perhaps more parts than you can use. If you take them, then perhaps you'll have a chance to pass some along to another person further down the road.

I imagine this hardware is not even a drop in the bucket, compared to what's recycled and thrown out each year. But I like the old hardware, it's hardly ever failed on me, and want to give it one more chance at use. That's why I salvaged it in the first place.

Take care all,

- Ted
                                    -   O
Portland State Aerospace Society - _<_\_ FreeGeek Community Center http://psas.pdx.edu W >\_ http://www.freegeek.org ted%cs.pdx.edu@localhost ( ) ( ) ted%freegeek.org@localhost