Re: Where arch/bebox/pci/pfb.c?

From: Tim Rightnour <root%garbled.net@localhost>
Subject: Re: Where arch/bebox/pci/pfb.c?
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 08:46:53 -0700 (MST)

> On 17-May-2008 Michael Lorenz wrote:
> >> And I have a new problem.  Both of the match() of vga and genfb
> >> returns 1.
> >> Therefore, which attaching is tried cannot be specified.  Isn't it
> >> return
> >> value revokable dynamic in some methods we?
> >
> > genfb is intended to be a catch-all fallback for graphics cards where
> > we can find the framebuffer but don't have a native driver for it.
> > Drivers like chipsfb, machfb etc. all return 100 they match something
> > so they'd win against genfb.
> >
> > If vga works I'd say stick with it.
>
> It's my understanding that the vga device driver is useless on bebox.  If you
> have genfb working, is there any reason you want vga to attach?  I would think
> once you have genfb working, you yank vga from the config.

hmm...
see. arch/bebox/stand/README

BootROM of BeBox initializes some cards to the frame buffer.  For
instance, it is a S3 vga card.
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^
However, it remains about VGA like the Matrox vga card.  This can be
initialized to the text mode of vga by boot_vga.  However, it is not
possible to initialize it to the frame buffer.

In addition, the S3 vga card cannot be changed to the VGA text mode.

And, BeOS supports both cards.
It is very sad that I stop either support on NetBSD.   X-<

Thanks,
--
kiyohara