Port-newsmips archive

Getting GNU toolz to build on a 3250

 I have a NWS-3250, complete with dead lithim battery, that still runs
 # uname -a
sony sony 4.0 5.0.1 NEWS3200 mips.r3000

 Ive been attempting in vain to get the gnu tools a foothold on it

 i Have yet to chance netbsd-port-newsmips

 The system came with a lot of stuff on 3 dc600 tapes that i managed to
 extract and install

 the make program sucks as does the c compiler that came with this sysVr4
abortion,
 what i wouldnt give to have a decent shell like bash

 does anyone have a working gcc compiler and other such nicities running ?

.. as much as i can discern, port-newsmips is not yet self hosting, and must be
started
 / launched from newsos

 I would be willing to do quite a bit of gruntwork on this beast, and share my
labor,
 but to even try to move round on this beast with such a sucky set of tools is,
 well ill put it this way,  i mount the volumes on my linux box when i want to
edit
 a file.

 About the machine, its a nice clean machine with the original carry bag, scsi
cable
 n mouse, and a 10bt tranciver i pop on the back.

 The 3 dc600 tapes have the OS with the developer tools and demo programs like
 decade cad and frameaker

 i also have some rather sparse manuals with very little info on the machine
other
 than marketing type literature but there are some tidbits

 ive been searching far and wide and found a site in japan
http://www-jkn.ee.uec.ac.jp/root/usr.local.src/

 But it seems that my newsos 4.0/5.0.1 is too old or somthing is missing.
 nothing there will build on this thing even after a lot of makefile edits to
work round the really
 sucky make program it comes with.

 If there is anything i have that would help anyone, I offer all I have,

 If someone has an a.out bash binary or a working gnu make/gcc that would
allow me to build my own as well as the other gnu tools, I am looking for you.

 I suppose i should spool this original sony scsi disk to a raw file, to extend
the day it
 it hits the garbage can past the day the drive goes out,

Cheers !!
Raymond

W4:/ufiles/sony-news/oem.packages.cpio-format# ls

ATT-FramedAccessCommandEnvironment
TerminalInformationUtilities
AccountingPackage.ds                    UFSUtilities
BSDCompatibilityPackage-2.cpio
UNIXAccountingPackage-2         BSDCompatibilityPackage.ds
UNIXEssentialSystemUtilities
BasicXWindowingSystem                   UNIXManualPages
C-DevelopmentSet.cpio
UUCPNetworkingUtilities                 DFSUtilities
UserEnvironmentUtilities
DirectoryAndFileManagementUtilities     X75dpiFonts
DisklessSoftwarePackage
XCommandManualPages                     EditingUtilities
        XDevelopmentManualPages
EnhancedProgrammingUtilities.cpio       XImageUtilities
Inter-ProcessCommunicationUtilities
XOldFonts                               InternetUtilities
        XSonyFonts
LPPrintService                          XWindowingSystemDevelopmentSet
NetworkFileSystemUtilities
XWindowingSystemExtendedUtilities       NetworkingSupportUtilities
RemoteProcedureCallUtilities
SPELLUtilities                          SystemAdministrationUtilities
SystemHeaderFiles
sysimage                                SystemPerformanceAnalysisUtilities

W4:/ufiles/sony-news# ls
sonytape.emacs.tar.gz           framemaker-f-sony.news.tar.gz
sonytape.exclaim.tar.gz
sonytape.games.tar.gz           sonytape.install.tar.gz
sonytape.island.tar.gz
sonytape.slideshow.tar.gz               sonytape.xutils.tar.gz
sonytape.Decade-Cad.tar.gz