Re: EdgeRouter Ethernet

> On Dec 1, 2020, at 5:09 PM, Brandon Wickelhaus <bwickelhaus%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> Wonder how much difficulty it'd add to people to try and get something
> like invisible.ca's arm images for the few MIPS systems that could use
> them.

Did you compile your own kernel?

I started with an earlier version of this disk image:

http://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/latest/evbmips-mips64eb/binary/gzimg/octeon.img.gz

dd it to a flash drive and boot from that; it should resize the root filesystem and go.  See https://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mips/2020/08/22/msg000965.html for a better summary.

At that point I do recall having trouble with the network.  See https://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mips/2020/08/23/msg000966.html.  After dropping it for awhile I switched over to diskless, though, and was able to test configurations much more easily.  I don't recall ever having network troubles when booting diskless.  When I was satisfied with the configuration, I wrote it all to a flash drive and have been running smoothly on that ever since.  I think my network problem ended up being a weird DNS issue that had gone unnoticed until now and had nothing to do with the ER3.  I suppose the lesson is to make _absolutely_ certain that you know everything about the network you are testing this on.

If you opt for working off the flash drive, do realize that it is _super_ slow in the ER3; rarely it will hang during the process of bringing up multiuser, perhaps being stuck reading a file.

All that said, I'm also pretty sure there is no reason you cannot just use this kernel if you have everything else set up:

http://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/latest/evbmips-mips64eb/binary/kernel/netbsd-OCTEON.elf32.gz

I haven't tried either of those specifically, but they should be the same (modulo regressions) as what I compiled in early November and started using in August.

Cheers,
Brook