Re: 4400/200: next issue!

Le mar. 7 sept. 2021 à 00:35, Mouse <mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost> a écrit :
> Is it possible to drive a VGA
> monitor off the Mac DA-15 video with a passive adapter?

Yes, it's just a matter of wiring and setting the 'sense' pins to tell
the Mac what the monitor can do.
Adapters were sold back then so you could use a VGA monitor rather
than Apple's expensive, fixed-resolution displays.
Some quick googling:
<https://old.pinouts.ru/Audio-Video-Hardware/MacVideoToVGA_pinout.shtml>
<https://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php/Macintosh_VGA>

... and to my complete surprise, Amazon even claims to have stock!
<https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-DB15-Male-Female-Switches/dp/B0016OC1J2>
NOS (New Old Stock) I would guess.

> Of course, I'd then still need to find an ADB keyboard.  I'm pretty
> sure I still have one, just not sure where it might be.

The safest way to access the console is indeed an ADB keyboard,
cmd-opt-O-F, and a compatible monitor - today that last point might be
problematic. as modern LCDs are a lot less tolerant of their analog
inputs than old-school multisync CRTs -:(
Using the serial port is theoretically possible, but in my experience
was not particularly reliable and completely unsupported.

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau