Re: GENERIC.MP kernel not booting

> On Nov 1, 2020, at 18:15, David H. Gutteridge <david%gutteridge.ca@localhost> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> Hello,
>
> Are you able to boot a UP (GENERIC) kernel successfully? Is it just the
> MP kernel that isn't working for you?
>
> This is quite possibly the same issue that's been reported and
> discussed already, e.g.:
> http://gnats.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=55462
>
> Advice would be to try a -current (9.99.75 or thereabouts) MP kernel
> and see if that works for you. (With the caveat it's a development
> branch, so there may be other issues lurking.)
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave

Hello,

I am able to boot using UP (GENERIC) kernel for NetBSD 9.1.  The problem is exactly as described in ports-macppc/55462.  It stops right before the swwdog is initialised.  I can plug and unplug devices to my hearts delight, but nothing else happens.  Only choice I have is for shutting down the system and rebooting with the UP (GENERIC) kernel.

Seems to me that the steps needed are:

1.  Confirm that MP (GENERIC) boots for NetBSD 8.1 and 8.2 (as mentioned in ports-macppc/55462).

2.  Procure a MP (GENERIC) kernel from the -current branch and try that out.

3.  See the differences between 8.1/8.2 and 9.0/9.1 branches ?

Being new to NetBSD, are there pointers on getting the -current kernel ?  Building it maybe ?

The system I have is  PowerMac G4 (Gigabit) DP, 2GB RAM.

  cheers,

       mehul