Re: building userland with a netbooted system

Hi,

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013, Mouse wrote:
I tried the latest 5.1 source [...]
As I understand it, 5.1 is released and thus is frozen, so "latest"
is pretty meaningless as applied to it.
I used cvs checkout -r netbsd-5-1 -P src,

I'm not entirely sure what that will get you.  My guess would be 5.1.2
plus what (probably little) has been pulled up to the branch since, but
someone who understands the current management of branches in the CVS
tree would be better able to speak to that.

I am really not sure either, but I need to have good source. I am not sure if it is the satellite internet or something wrong with the system that I am using to netboot that is corrupting everything.

I did another CVS after I installed to the hard drive and this time it was larger. I was able to finally build userland, so I think that it is good. I then download a new pkgsrc and I was able to build a few packages with it now too.

I really need to be able to verify the binaries that I install and then verify the source that I use.

In this message someone talked about raising some limits in m68k or
maybe just port-amiga.  Here is a link:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-m68k/2012/06/13/msg000340.html

I'm not entirely sure, but, as I read that, it's all about something
68k-specific and thus has no relevance to macppc.

But could this problem or another problem with that system be corrupting the nfs root. Honestly, I wonder if I don't have a failing hard drive or something.

I dug out my macppc machine (a 7300 with a G3 CPU upgrade).  It has,
as I thought, 4.0.1 on it.  I have 5.2 cross-building from amd64;
once it's built I'll put it on the drive (there's plenty of spare
space) and try a native build.

I actually realized this would not be as useful as it could be, because
it's 5.2 plus my assorted hackery.

I've now installed stock straight-off-ftp.netbsd.org 5.2 macppc on it.
Two installs, actually.  See below.

I should have explained this better.  I want to [...]

Yeah, that's mildly complicated.  But, especially with a slow NFS
server, you quite possibly will gets results quicker by doing the build
on local disk and copying the resulting file(s) to the NFS server.

I want to do an install of NetBSD 5.1.2 on a Mac G3 Blue&White, do a source upgrade with the latest NetBSD 5.1 source, build apache, mysql, php, pureftp, and all the packages that I need on a server and then transfer the install to another G3 Blue&White that is a live web server.

If did the transfer now to the Blue & White that I have here, I could
then test to see if it would compile.  If it did, I can tar it,t
saving the file on another system that is here locally with ssh.
Then I can untar that on my local nfsd server to see if everthing
will be ok first, before uploading to another system.  I should be
able to just untar the same file on the drive, I would think.  This
would probably be the better solution by far.

Unless you know of a better way?

Sounds reasonably sensible to me.  But of course, I can't be certain I
have my head entirely around what you mean.

The way I described it was very complicated.

I want to transfer without a lot of downtime. I am not completely sure how to do it, but I was thinking of netbooting the server and then untarring the fresh install I just did on the server.

Thanks,
Al