Re: Installing 5.0.2 on a PowerBook G4

Michael wrote:

>> Today I found out that Apple is using the 7447A's DFS (Dynamic
>> Frequency
>> Switch) feature instead of a second gpio for it.
>
> Yeah, there's something mentioned in the cpu node.
>
>> I tried to write a small patch to support it with machdep.cpu_speed
>> (see my other posting). Works
>> fine for me.
>
> Nice :)

And it's not forgotten. I will have a look how to move the cpu-specific part
into powerpc/oea/cpu_subr.c in the following days (weekend?). Suggestions
for the cleanest implementation are still welcome. ;)

> Do you have any other cards to try? All I ever used with NetBSD were
> wifi cards.

That's my only card, unfortunately. I will ask if somebody else got another
card and report back.

>> [..radeonfb corrupt display..]
>> The resolution seems correct. No idea what's the problem here.
>
> Hmm, your description sounds like a wrong stride ( radeons have some
> funny alignment requirements there ) but if that was the case I should
> see the same problem here, with a Sun XVR-100 running 1280x1024.

I checked the stride. It is calculated as 1280, which should be normal for a
width of 1280 pixels and a depth of 8 bits.

But maybe the depth is the problem? I found this comment in
radeonfb_init_screen():
        /* XXX: 32 bpp only */

>>> Well, enable support for it in the kernel :p
>>> Otherwise, X -configure should do the right thing.
>>
>> Ok, works with wskbd and wsmouse in xorg.conf. Thanks.

It worked with 5.0.2, but with current it fails again. First it didn't want
to accept the xorg.conf, which I created with 5.0.2. Then, after I deleted
all lines which are obsolete, I got:

(++) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) No devices detected.
Fatal server error:
no screens found

Also running configure no longer works and crashes:

# X -configure

X.Org X Server 1.6.5
[...]
(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
Using rom_base = 0xb0020000 (pci_rom=1)
Using rom_base = 0xb0020000 (pci_rom=1)
Fatal server error:
Caught signal 10.  Server aborting

Maybe I missed something while updating my userland from 5.0.2 to current?

Backtrace of the core dump:
#0  0xefb786b0 in _lwp_kill () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
#1  0xefb78674 in raise () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
#2  0xefb77d78 in abort () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
#3  0x01862bfc in ddxGiveUp ()
#4  0x01978cc0 in AbortServer ()
#5  0x01979424 in FatalError ()
#6  0x018747c8 in xf86SigHandler ()
#7  0xefb0b064 in opendir () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)

--
Frank Wille