Re: Installing 5.0.2 on a PowerBook G4

Hello,

On Oct 9, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Frank Wille wrote:

Michael wrote:

I don't know what you're talking about. Ofwboot seems to at least
understand whatever partitioning scheme OSX uses. It may or may not
use offsets relative to whatever OF thinks about partitions though, so
it's probably not ofwboot itself.

Hm, I guess it splits the OF device part from the file name and can use
OF_open() on it to determine a partition offset?

I guess that's what it does.

It would still be an advantage to be able to use no OF device name at all, but just let ofwboot find the NetBSD root partition automatically. I will
look into that.

Works to some degree - on old world machines which use the partition zero method and don't have any HFS partitions ofwboot finds the kernel without any OF path.

Some *Books can switch CPU or bus speeds and on those OF will start
up
at low speed. On the iBook G4 there is a gpio to switch it to full
speed ( see sysctl machdep.cpu_speed ) but I have no idea if your
PowerBook uses the same mechanism.

No, such a sysctl-entry doesn't exist here. It's a 7447A.

IIRC my iBook G4 has the same CPU.

Sure? Then the CPU should support DFS.

Must be a different submodel though - mine's only got 256kB cache.

Today I found out that Apple is using the 7447A's DFS (Dynamic Frequency
Switch) feature instead of a second gpio for it.

Yeah, there's something mentioned in the cpu node.

I tried to write a small patch to support it with machdep.cpu_speed (see my other posting). Works
fine for me.

Nice :)

Another question would be how to use this feature best? Maybe automatically
set machdep.cpu_speed=0 when the system load drops below 0.5?

Or perhaps something can be done with powerd(8)?

I think powerd is supposed to do that.

[..wrong keyboard layout..]
I'm thoroughly unfamiliar with the USB code. What I meant is you could
make a new map based on de that matches the PowerBook ( de_mac or
whatever )

I would have to find out first for how many different models such a keymap fits. The Apple USB-keyboard on my Powermac G4 is fine, so it is PowerBook
specific.

It's probably specific to the last PowerBook G4 generation - earlier models pretend to have ADB.

[..cbb is dead..]
cbb0 at pci1 dev 19 function 0: Texas Instruments PCI1510 PCI-
CardBus Bridge
(rev. 0x00)
[...]
cbb0: cacheline 0x8 lattimer 0x10
cbb0: bhlc 0x21008
cbb0: interrupting at irq 53
cardslot0 at cbb0
cardbus0 at cardslot0: bus 1
pcmcia0 at cardslot0

Hmm, that looks good.

And, did you try -current?

Yes. Same effect.

Weird. I get this:
cbb0 at pci1 dev 26 function 0: vendor 0x104c product 0xac1e (rev.
0x00) cbb0: cacheline 0x8 lattimer 0x10
cbb0: bhlc 0x21008
cbb0: interrupting at irq 58
cardslot0 at cbb0
cardbus0 at cardslot0: bus 1
pcmcia0 at cardslot0

which translates to Texas Instruments PCI1211 PCI-CardBus Bridge

When I plug in a pcmcia card before I boot OF, it is recognized and the LEDs
start blinking, so the port is not electrically dead.

But all kernels crash, when the card is detected (typed manually):

5.0.2
-----
ohci4 at cardbus0 function 0: Opti 82C861 (rev. 0x10)
ohci4: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
trap: pid 0.5 (system) at  netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x10:
panic+0x210
trap+0x108
kernel MCHK trap by splraise+0xc
_prop_dictionary_keysym32_pool+0xff8016a8
mutex_vector_exit+0x58
callout_schedule+0x28
pffasttimo+0x9c
callout_softclock+0x1a8
softint_thread+0xf4
emptyidlespin+0x10
_prop_dictionary_keysym32_pool+0xff8016a8

5.99.39
-------
ohci4 at cardbus0 function 0: Opti 82C861 (rev. 0x10)
ohci4: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
trap: pid 0.5 (system) at  netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x10:
panic+0x25c
trap+0x120
kernel MCHK trap by splraise+0xc
0xfffffffc
mutex_spin_exit+0x58
callout_schedule+0x44
pffasttimo+0x9c
callout_softclock+0x220
softint_thread+0x10c
emptyidlespin+0x10
0xfffffffc

Ok, I remember I also had some crashes on an i386 laptop some years ago,
which I had to fix first, so it might be just this UMTS card. Not a
priority item at the moment.

Do you have any other cards to try? All I ever used with NetBSD were wifi cards.

[..display brightness..]
You're not using radeonfb :p
That code has been in radeonfb for at least a year. Needs some changes
though.

Radeonfb has some problems with the screen dimensions. It looks like the pixels are shifted each line or even completely mixed. The system boots
multiuser though, and I could log in to get the following from dmesg:

radeonfb0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: ATI Technologies Radeon Mobility
9600/9700 (M10/11) NP
radeonfb0: Video BIOS not present
radeonfb0: No video BIOS, using default clocks
radeonfb0: refclk = 27.000 MHz, refdiv = 12 minpll = 125000, maxpll = 350000
radeonfb0: using static EDID
max_dotclock according to supported modes: 79810
radeonfb0: using static EDID
max_dotclock according to supported modes: 79810
radeonfb0: 64 MB aperture at 0xb8000000, 64 KB registers at 0xb0000000
radeonfb0: display 0: initial virtual resolution 1280x854 at 8 bpp
radeonfb0: port 0: physical 1280x854 60Hz
radeonfb0: port 1: physical 1280x854 60Hz
wsdisplay0 at radeonfb0 kbdmux 1: console (fb, vt100 emulation)

The resolution seems correct. No idea what's the problem here.

Hmm, your description sounds like a wrong stride ( radeons have some funny alignment requirements there ) but if that was the case I should see the same problem here, with a Sun XVR-100 running 1280x1024.

That's for ADB keyboards and won't work on -current anyway. On older
*Books the hotkeys appear as a separate ADB device which these days
sends PMF events. I have no idea what they did on USB keyboards.

My USB keyboard just sends the normal function key codes.

They should probably be translated to PMF events. That won't work in X though which just reads raw events.

[..X11..]
Fatal server error:
can't switch keyboard to raw mode. Enable support for it in the kernel

Well, enable support for it in the kernel :p
Otherwise, X -configure should do the right thing.

Ok, works with wskbd and wsmouse in xorg.conf. Thanks.

Ok.

I found a small typo in
xfree/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/bsd_kbd.c:

FatalError("can't switch keyboard to raw mode. " "Enable support for it in the kernel\n"
                                   "or use for example:\n\n"
                                   "Option \"Protocol\" \"wskbd\"\n"
"Option \"Device\" \"/dev/ wskbd0\"\n"
                                   "\nin your XF86Config(5) file\n");

The device wskbd0 didn't work for me, but wskbd does. For wsmouse the error
message is correct. Maybe this should be changed to avoid confusion?

That's not a typo, it works here with either one. The difference is that wskbd0 is the actual keyboard while wskbd is the multiplexer which gets confused when you have keyboards using different scancode sets ( like a built-in ABD keyboard and a USB number pad )

have fun
Michael