Re: Powerbook 3400c

Hi Michael,

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 05:14:24PM -0500, Michael wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2009, at 5:02 PM, Falk Stern wrote:
>
>> * chipsfb is flickering after exiting X.org
>
> chipsfb has no modesetting support at all and the XFree86/Xorg chips
> driver doesn't properly clean up after itself ( few drivers do, most
> were apparently written for PCs running VGA text mode and rely on the
> vgahw module to take care of restoring text mode - not what we need on
> most non-PC hardware )

That's what I thought. Not chipsfb is broken (maybe not complete), but
Xorg is. At least a bit.

> If you feel like hacking chipsfb I have the official docs and they're
> probably still available from Intel.

I'd like to, but I have absolutely no experience coding C or even device
drivers. I know a bit of perl, shell and awk, and thats about it.

Any pointers to documentation where to start?

>> * No working german keymap for X11, I'm missing square brackets, the
>> tilde and an @ the most.
>
> No clue, my 3400c has a US keyboard.

Is there any way to use the wsconsole keyboard map in Xorg?

Best,

Falk

--
The X approach to device independence is to treat everything like a
MicroVAX framebuffer on acid. - The Unix Haters Handbook on X11