Re: won't boot if I don't enter open-firmware

>Hi,
>
>On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 03:37:14PM -0400, Michael wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Aug 10, 2009, at 2:02 PM, Bruce O'Neel wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >Ok, this is odd.
>> >
>> >I have a PowerMac G4/400 AGP, and a PowerBook G4/667 (TiBook) and
>> >both of them run NetBSD fine.
>> >
>> >What they don't do fine is boot from powerup without a stop in
>> >openfirmware.
>> >
>> >If set auto-boot? to false, then when I drop into open-firmware type
>> >'boot' everything is fine.
>> >But with auto-boot? to true they just make it to a gray screen and
>> >stop.  No text.
>> >
>> >I've tried the two different delayed boot commands in the install
>> >notes and both of
>> >them produce a black screen and nothing.
>>
>> What matters is to trick OF into initializing the graphics hardware,
>> there have been several scripts posted here, no clue which ones ou're
>> referring to.
>
>The ones I tried were the ones from the 5.0.1 install notes:
>
>0 > setenv boot-command catch 5000 ms boot
>0 > setenv boot-command begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again
>
>This wasn't the right guess :-)
>

>cheers
>
>bruce

My recollection is that you have to add a

        " screen" output boot

definition to the boot.  The '" screen" output' is what inits the graphics,
and if you don't do that, it won't boot.

Note that the space after the quote is NOT a typo.

There is  reference to this somewhere in the install docs, as I recall.

-dgl-