won't boot if I don't enter open-firmware

Hi,

Ok, this is odd.

I have a PowerMac G4/400 AGP, and a PowerBook G4/667 (TiBook) and both of them
run NetBSD fine.

What they don't do fine is boot from powerup without a stop in openfirmware.

If set auto-boot? to false, then when I drop into open-firmware type 'boot'
everything is fine.
But with auto-boot? to true they just make it to a gray screen and stop.  No
text.

I've tried the two different delayed boot commands in the install notes and
both of
them produce a black screen and nothing.

Ideas?  I'm ok with the Powerbook requiring an extra boot, but, I'd like the
PowerMac to boot without stopping since it should run unattended.

My Pismo, just to be perverse, boots just fine without a stop in OpenFirmware.

Thanks!

cheers

bruce