Re: Booting with root fs on another partition

On May 6, 2009, at 10:03 AM, Christos Zoulas wrote:
Can you boot netbsd -a and type the root partition manually?

Good idea, but apparently not. (At first I had trouble passing boot flags to the kernel at all --- I think the problem was I was using an old version of ofwboot.xcf from 4.0.1.) The problem now is that the kernel doesn't recognize keyboard input when it's prompting for the root partition or for the path to init. Oddly, it does recognize the keyboard earlier in the boot process, if I pass -c to get the kernel config prompt; and of course it also has no trouble with the keyboard later, when the machine has finished booting up.

I guess that in between those points, the open firmware I/O routines are no longer being used but netbsd's own USB keyboard support isn't working yet.

What I'm doing is:
At the open firmware '0>' prompt, typing 'boot -a' to get to the ofwboot 'Boot:' prompt At that prompt, typing '/netbsd5.gz -a' to boot the 5.0-GENERIC kernel downloaded from netbsd.org

The kernel then boots, and prompts for the name of the root partition, but doesn't respond to keyboard input; I have to power- cycle. Passing '-c' results in a functional ukc> dialogue, and passing no flag at all boots into multiuser mode w/o any problems (other than using the wrong partition for the root filesystem).

Or create a custom kernel with hard-coded root?

That was my second approach, but my attempt to compile a 5.0 kernel in 4.0.1 resulted in a kernel that paniced during boot. I can compile a custom 4.0 kernel, so I assumed there's some toolchain incompatibility --- I didn't investigate further. It's very possible I made a mistake compiling the 5.0 kernel.

I think I'll try to get a custom kernel to work. Does anyone know if it *should* be possible to compile a working 5.0 kernel using 4.0.1's tools?