Booting with root fs on another partition

I've installed NetBSD 4.0.1, and more recently 5.0, on a PPC Mac Mini. 4.0.1 works fine. And the 5.0 kernel seems to be fine. However, I can't figure out how to boot 5.0 so that its root filesystem is the partition containing the 5.0 userland --- it always mounts partition 'a' as root, which holds 4.0.1. What I want to do is have partition 'e' be the root when booting into 5.0. Is there a way to do this? I've tried various likely-seeming permutations of open firmware commands to no avail.

Looking through the kernel sources, I found these lines in ofw_autoconf.c:

186 /* booted_partition = *p - ''; XXX correct? */

353 booted_partition = 0; /* XXX -- should be extracted from bootpath */

which kind of make me think that there is no way to specify the rootfs partition at boot time.

Any ideas? Am I barking up the wrong tree? I'd rather not wipe 4.0.1 off of partition 'a' just yet.