Port-mac68k archive

Re: mac68k built-in video (PR#58164)

Hi David,

On 6/4/24 9:56 AM, David Brownlee wrote:

> Yea... cvs does not make that as easy. I'd suggest checkout
> https://github.com/NetBSD/src and start from the current branch around
> the time of the NetBSD-8.0 release (it will have some changes not in
> -8, so you may want to go back or forward from there)
>
> It should be sufficient to runs something like
>  ./build.sh -U -m mac68k -j 22 tools kernel=GENERIC
> (adjust 22 based on your spare core count and GENERIC as needed!)
>
> You may need to make sure you have an older gcc installed to bootstrap
> the build.
>
> If you have time it would be great to track down the point of breakage.

I'll see what I can find.

> Also the incorrect total memory reporting in 58164 is... curious, and
> potentially indicative of something deeper. Would you have time to
> build some test kernels to try to get more details out of that? :)
>
> David

Yes, I can build some test kernels, but I would need advice on the
config files to use, since I'm not a developer.

In Problem Report 58164, I had at first installed memory the wrong way
(64 MiB in Bank A and 16 MiB in Bank B). Some part of the kernel knew
that I had roughly 80 MiB installed (as reported in /proc/meminfo and
"available memory" in dmesg), but the kernel was also throwing away all
the memory in Bank A (64 MiB) so another part of the kernel thought my
total memory was only the 16 MiB that it saw in Bank B. The ideal
configuration (in NetBSD and Linux) when using built-in video on the
IIci is to have just 1 MiB in Bank A and 64 MiB in Bank B.

-Stan