Port-iyonix archive

genfb console

As of today, NetBSD/iyonix should now be able to use a text console on the graphics card, using genfb.

For this to work, you need to be using a recent (today or later) boot32 to boot (this still isn't built as part of the Iynoix build, sorry. You can grab it from an acorn32 build) and you need to be in a suitable screen mode in RISC OS. The screen mode used in NetBSD will be the same as is configured by RISC OS.

For now, this works best when you use 16 million colours. I've tried 256 colours and it basically seems to work but the palette is a bit screwy, and I've tried 32 thousand colours and it didn't end well.

I've tried 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024, all in 16 million colours.

The console doesn't attach until half way through the boot sequence at the moment, so the serial console is still useful if you need to get hold of the early boot messages.

I haven't tried X.

--
Gilette - the best a man can forget