Port-i386 archive

Re: Accidentally "upgraded" i386 to amd64

Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> writes:

> On Wed 02 Dec 2020 at 10:11:44 -0700, Andy Ruhl wrote:
>> I only have an i386 pkg_install version according to this. I have
>> tried to install a new pkg_install from the amd64 packages and it
>> won't install.
>>
>> Somehow I need to find out how to upgrade this package. Still looking.
>
> I think it takes pkg_add with some combination of -f -u and/or -U.
> I don't remember, I just try it again every time there is a new
> pkg_install :-)
>
> -Olaf.

In my $DAYJOB I deal with Joyent Triton and it has used pkgsrc in one
form for another for a long time.  I had a situation where there was an
old 32bit zone that had used 32bit pkgsrc.  The zone had been converted
to a 64bit plateform, but was still running 32bit binaries.  I had the
need to update and install new packages.  The way I ended up doing it
was deleting the pkginstall package with pkg_delete and then extracting
the pkginstall package out of its archive manually and putting it into
place, overwriting the 32bit version (more or less cd /opt/local;zcat
pkginstall-<someversion>.tar.gz | tar -xvpf - ... but not quite).  I
then used the new pkg_install to pkg_install the new pkginstall package
itself officially.  This ended up working just fine and was a way to
bootstrap everything into place.  I then pkg_install a new version of
pkgin (and its dependencies), a 64bit version, and then used the new
pkgin to update everything.  The original zone was very old with pkgsrc
binaries that were something like 11 years old or so.  There may be a
way to do this with pkg_install, but I was unable to find it.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org