Port-i386 archive

Re: How to move netbsd to another drive?

[In passing, why is this on both port-i386 and port-amd64?  Surely it
should be just the one or the other?]

>> man dd
> That doesn't always work.  I got an unmountable, unreadable file system when$

That's a risk.  But there are other issues with using dd in some cases.
In particular, it results in a destination filesystem that's exactly
the same size as the source filesystem.  (I expect most of you
understand this, but someone who has to ask the question in the
Subject: probably does not.)

To migrate data between partitions of different size requires either a
filesystem capable of live migration and resizing (zfs? I've seen it
implied but I don't actually know), something like resize_ffs or
resize_lfs, or doing the copy with tools like dump and restore, tar,
pax, or the like.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign