Port-i386 archive

Re: Migrating server from i386 to amd64 - Possibly NetBSD_6x --> 7x?

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 11:28:36AM -0000, yancm%sdf.org@localhost wrote:
I guess first question, will the 64 bit xeon just boot off the
i386 raid disks? I'm suspecting it might? If so, then need advice on
upgrading to amd64 from there...possibly just move to
amd64 NetBSD 6_latest via binaries and try to get stable system,
then upgrade to 7 when I'm ready?

Yes, you should be able to just boot a i386 installation with a 64bit
CPU, they still support 32bit operation after all. Upgrading is a bit
more tricky since i386 and amd64 have different device numbers, i.e. you
will have to move MAKEDEV* out of /dev and rebuild all device nodes.

Here's a hacked version of the script that I use:
http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/sborrill/osupgrade

I create a bootable USB stick using the usual methods and then put this script on too. The idea is that instead of trying to live upgrade, I run from a known good environment.

--
Stephen