Port-i386 archive

Upraded from 7.0.1 to 7.0.2 --> could not run ELF binary

I had installed dmidecode [1] on a NetBSD i386 7.0.1 machine and it
was working fine, but after upgrading to 7.0.2 trying to execute it
produced this error (verbatim as far as I recall):

could not run ELF binary

Recompiling dmidecode solve the problem, but I'm curious to know what
change in 7.0.2 would have produced that symptom?

In this case there was no pressure from users to get it working again,
but there could have been.  Is there any way to tell beforehand if an
upgrade to the system will break existing binaries?

Ray

[1]  http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/dmidecode/