Port-i386 archive

Re: Disk Problems

    Date:        Sun, 6 Jul 2014 15:06:22 +0200
    From:        Ib-Michael Martinsen <i.m.martinsen%gmail.com@localhost>

  | But then I discovered a new problem I have not been able to
  | solve. For some reason I am unable to update the fdisk settings
  | on disk wd1. I would like to change the settings, so they become
  | identical on the two disks.

They look identical to me, and it looks as if you're just changing x to x
for all values, nothing would be expected to change would it?

The only difference I see if in the bios geometry values (wd0 has 63 "heads"
and wd1 only 18).   That's an irrelevant setting for any modern drive,
just ignore it (it is possible to change, but isn't worth the bother).

  | I have tried to copy the first 8K from wd0 to wd1 with
  |
  | dd if=/dev/rwd0d of=/dev/rws1d bs=512 count=16384

That's 8M. not 8K, not that it really matters (unless you're
destroying data along the way).

  | but I am still unable to change the partition settings on wd1.

They are the same...

wd0: 0: NetBSD (sysid 169)
    start 2048, size 3907027120 (1907728 MB, Cyls 0/32/33-984386/17/63), Active
wd1: 0: NetBSD (sysid 169)
    start 2048, size 3907027120 (1907728 MB, Cyls 1/14/33-3445351), Active

All that matters is start & size, the 0/32/... are just calculated based on
the different bios geometries, they're obviously going to be different
considering that those are different, but they are irrelevant.

  | How do I do that?

If you really want to make them appear identical, use fdisk and alter the
bios geometry numbers of wd1 (or wd0).

  | Does anyone know how to get the full device list back in the boot
  | menu?

This one I have no idea about.

kre