Port-i386 archive

Re: LVM on NetBSD/i386 v6.1.4

i.m.martinsen%gmail.com@localhost (Ib-Michael Martinsen) writes:

>Dear list-members.

>I have been trying out LVM on a vanilla NetBSD v6.1.4 installation.
>So far it is looking good although I have experienced a few
>problems.

>For now I am able to create and use physical volumes, volume groups
>and simple linear logical volumes, but whenever I try to create a
>mirror LV or a snapshot LV, I get the following errors:

Unfortunately neither mirror nor snapshot are supported yet.

>Assuming it is possible to generate (and use) mirror LVs, does anybody
>have any thoughts of RAIDframe RAID1 compared to LVM mirroring as a
>mean to ensure greater data safety?

LVM dm-based mirroring (on Linux) has a usability problem as it doesn't
handle errors gracefully. A failed mirror is almost silently converted into
a non-mirror. AFAIK more recent LVM versions try to use md-based mirroring
instead.

>To me the LVM mirroring seems to be the most flexible method, but am I
>missing something?

No, it is.