Port-i386 archive

Re: Install i386 or amd64?

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 04:07:17PM -0500, jmitchel%bigjar.com@localhost wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 06:26:13AM -0500, Jason Mitchell wrote:
> >>
> >> Not to advocate i386 over amd64, but doesn't NetBSD/i386 support PAE and
> >> thus can access >2GB of RAM?
> >>

> > You are still limited to a 32bit address space in the process so you
> > still can't go over the 4Gb memory limit and that is divided between
> > kernel and user space hence why a process gets 2(ish)Gb.  These
> > limitations don't apply to a true 64bit system.
> >
> > --
> > Brett Lymn
> > Staple Guns: because duct tape doesn't make that KerCHUNK sound - xkcd.com
> >
> Please don't post about things that you don't understand. Here's the

Dude.  How do I put this?  Oh, right, that's it: "Shut up.  Brett has
forgotten more about computer architecture than you'll ever know."  You
should really cease and desist before you embarrass yourself further.

The PAE mode in the x86 MMU provides 36 bits of address space to the
kernel only.  User processes are limited to, at best, 4GB of virtual
space; pretty much the _only_ thing PAE mode does is offer the
possibility of providing more physical space to back them.

Unfortunately, as I doubt you understand the difference between a
virtual address and a virtual girlfriend, I suppose this will be
lost on you.

Thor