Port-i386 archive

Re: Can't upgrade RAIDframe system -- won't boot from CD

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 14:34:00 +0100
Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 03:21:12PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> > I think that the same boothowto option could suppress both steps
> > 2 and 3, essentially making root on the boot device be the second
> > highest priority, just below root on the device explicitly
> > requested by the user.
>
> I agree.
>
> > We should also address the problem reported by Klaus Heinz in
> > <http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2009/10/31/msg006410.html>,
> > ensuring that a root device explicitly specified on the
> > multiboot command line takes precedence over a device with
> > "raidctl -A root".
>
> Yes. If we reach consensus, I'll happily implement it.

Just for the record as the guy who implemented 'raidctl -A root': this
'quick solution/hack' was done at a time long ago when there didn't seem
to be any other easy way of accomplishing the same goal.  The device
information available in the kernel is much improved these days, and
there has to be a better way of handling 'root on raid' without breaking
'root on what I booted from'.

I'm very much in favor of getting this mess cleaned up :)

Later...

Greg Oster