Port-i386 archive

Re: occasional system lock up in 6.0_BETA and 6.99.5

D'Arcy Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On 12-05-03 02:11 PM, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:
>> I am already current as per May 1st, so I guess the one that's biting me
>> is a different one.  I'm now running with SMP disabled, to see if it'll
>> stay up like that.
>
> Did it?

I never completed that test.  Martin Husemann suggested the problem
might be with "direct map" code, and on his suggestion I disabled that
by ifdef'ing out the relevant defines near the end of
sys/arch/amd64/include/types.h.  I used to have one or two hangs or
crashes per day, and it's now been a week with not a single incident.

So, I guess the problem biting me was irrelevant to port-386.

-tih
--
"The market" is a bunch of 28-year-olds who don't know anything. --Paul Krugman