Port-i386 archive

Re: kvm86 kernel option

Le 08/05/12 19:24, David Laight a écrit :
I was looking at the code that allows an application to run in
'viritual 8086 mode', not anything that might allow a 'normal'
application to make bios calls - although that couls have it's
own security risks.

Okay, misunderstood your suggestion :)

I can only think of one obstacle before doing that then: real mode support under VMs.

I do not know how much support is required from dom0 nowadays, especially with Intel's hardware virtualization (which does not support running VMs in real mode "easily").

IIRC, Xen introduced a real mode emulator around Xen 3.2 so they can support a wider range of guest HVMs. I doubt that it has to rely on v8086 mode from dom0, but this should be checked anyway.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost