Port-i386 archive

Re: Text size limits

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 09:03:17PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <20120428001910.GA10368%britannica.bec.de@localhost>,
> Joerg Sonnenberger  <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
> >-=-=-=-=-=-
> >
> >Hi all,
> >a while ago, the text size limit on amd64 was raised to 128MB based on
> >GCC no longer fitting during bootstrap. Looking back, I would like to
> >get a bit more of a safety marging, since e.g. aggressive inlining or
> >debug builds can both provide significant larger code than a base line.
> >I'd like to raise the limit consistently to 256MB for i386 and amd64.
> >The current i386 limit is still 64MB, which definitely is too close for
> >comfort in netbsd-6.
>
> I'd say go for it.

Probably also raise the soft limit of #files, and setting all the
hard limits to fixed values.
Currently a lot of the hard limits match system limits - many of
which are local-user DoS attacks.

Remember any user can set the soft limit to match the 'hard' limit,
root can increase the hard limit as well.
The current 'default' values don't seem to have been set with that
knowledge.

Some of the current system limits that set the hard limits (like
the number of file structures) should probably be abolished completely.
It might make sense to reject non-root attempts to create some items
when memory is low - but otherwise they make little sense.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost