Port-i386 archive

Re: netbsd-5 on Citrix XenClient 2.1 (on an HP EliteBook 8460p)

At Fri, 3 Feb 2012 08:29:02 +0000 (GMT), Stephen Borrill
<netbsd%precedence.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: netbsd-5 on Citrix XenClient 2.1 (on an HP EliteBook 8460p)

> I've had NetBSD running on XenClient since the pre-1.0 tech preview
> days and haven't noticed the pauses.

Getting rid of re(4) seems to have made all the difference in the world!

> After my 2.1 upgrade^Wreinstall, I've not had chance to put NetBSD
> back on yet. However, my interest is mainly in getting it to run as a
> PV guest rather than HVM. My work on generating .xva files for
> XenServer and importing the relevant guest tools into pkgsrc has been
> good. So it shouldn't be much of a leap to get it working under
> XenClient too.

That would be awesome!  NetBSD-5, running with one CPU and 2GB of RAM,
and with source on one NFS server and build directories on another NFS
server took over 25 hours to build release sets as opposed to less than
1/4 of that time when running on the bare metal (with 4 hyperthreaded
CPUs and 4GB RAM).

I was going to try naively booting a NetBSD/xen domU kernel to see what
happened...

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.