Port-i386 archive

Re: PAE code ?

"Michael C. Vergallen" <mvergall%skynet.be@localhost> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Anyone got the PAE code working under the netbsd-5.1.0_PATCH kernel ?
> I would like to use it on a HP-DL580-G2 with 8 GB Ram and 4 cpu's but
> the compile stops at the x86 code. And as I don't know the netbsd

In general, there's no good reason not to use a snapshot (or build it
yourself) from the latest netbsd-5 branch.  I am unclear on PAE status;
you may also want to consider running amd64 instead of i386..

> kernel code I can't seem to get the thing working. Also I don't
> understand why the kernel dous not allocate a certain amount of memory
> to each cpu thus making it possible to use all the physical memory to
> the system and allowing userland to utilize all physical memory
> available by binding certain processes to a certain cpu.

Because that would tie memory use and cpu use.  With PAE, the system can
handle 8G of RAM, but the kernel and any process is limited to less
(IIRC 1G and 3G).  So with 4 cpus you could be using all the memory at
once, but also any process can be run on any cpu, depending on load.
More importantly, it doesn't work that way in NetBSD, and I'm not aware
of any modern OS doing that.