Port-i386 archive

i386 boot.iso vs. boot.cfg / bootxx_cd9660 broken?

Trying to update g4u, it seems that the boot menu in boot.cfg is not shown. Checking on the i386 boot.iso that's made as part of a release, it seems there's also a boot.cfg on the CD that's not used. Is this intended?
This used to work, and I used it to load a ramdisk.

I haven't looked into this issue, but I wonder if it's known, and maybe someone can point at the culprit - my first guess is bootxx_cd9660.

Anyone got a clue?

 - Hubert