Port-i386 archive

HP NetServer boot trouble

I was just given an HP NetServer LP 1000r - a nice little 1U machine
which the donor tells me contains a dual Pentium III.

I got it home and looked for a handy install CD; the first one I found
was 4.0.1.  Since the machine is old enough to be HP-branded, I figured
4.0.1 should handle it OK (besides, I think it's the most recent CD I
actually have a burnt copy of on hand).

Well...it sort of does.  Sort of.

When I first booted (no special options), it exploded early in the boot
process.  I have a ten-finger copy of what was visible then, but I
suspect it doesn't matter (see below); I can provide it if it would
help.  A backtrace in ddb made me suspect ACPI.  So I booted with -c
and told it to "disable acpi"; then it boots, but finds only one of the
two CPUs the with-ACPI boot messages show.  (I can also supply dmesg
from this boot, including a ten-finger copy of stuff that was printed
too early to make it into dmesg.)

I'd rather use both cores if I can.  I did some Web searching (ugh) and
it appears the penguin prints a similar message but doesn't actually do
anything for it.  Looking at the (NetBSD) code gives me the feeling
this is some kind of debugging facility and I could "fix" it by just
having AcpiOsSignal handle ACPI_SIGNAL_BREAKPOINT by silently returning
without doing anything.

Right?  Wrong?  Am I missing something?  (Okay, I'm surely missing lots
of things.  Am I missing something _relevant_? :)  I'll be getting it
started building a kernel (running uniprocessor) with that change made,
in the interim....

\ / Ribbon Campaign